Sunday, September 17, 2006

High School in a Small Town

I was talking to my sister this week reminiscing about our high school in a small Mid-Michigan town and there were some truly great things that I had somehow forgotten. First is that our high school was surrounded by corn fields. Which is probably not all that unusual with a lot of rural high schools, but it did make going back to school in the fall more interesting when you could watch the harvest instead of paying attention in class.

The second and far more fun is FFA Week.



I don't know if the events for FFA Week are a national standard, but this is what my school did. First there was Drive Your Tractor to School Day. This is when obviously the guys and some of the girls in the FFA would drive the family tractor to school. There is nothing like walking into the parking lot and seeing thousands of dollars worth of heavy equipment. Then there is Bean Soup Day. This is a fundraiser, for a couple of dollars during lunch hour you would go out to the Ag Barn (yes my high school had a pole barn for agricultural classes) and have the best bean soup. Now of course some of the prissy girls in school would never dream of going, maybe they were afraid of gas, I don't know but they were really missing out. I'd love to have that soup recipe. Lastly there was an Ice Cream Social. Yet another fundraiser, but far more popular with average student body.

Now I got in trouble with some of my friends for not joining the FFA (Future Farmers of America), but I just wouldn't have looked good in a blue corduroy jacket.


1 comment:

Matt said...

Brings back memories for me...every year for Homecoming, our FFA has a hog roast. It's a big, big deal. All the FFA kids stay up all night Thursday roasting the hogs and getting everything ready. It is the best damn pig you'll ever eat, too.

We also have an FFA barn behind our high school. They raised a lot of chickens, as I recall. Since I lived "in town" (which evidently is a country thing to say) I wasn't in FFA.